Sublimebrad

Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 05:22 pm:   

Ok so I live New Orleans and Ive had my fair share of strong drinks. People say that the Handgrenade at Tropical Isle on Bourbon St is one of the strongest drinks you can buy (everclear and sugar basically). How does the Bob Marley compare to this? Everyone seems to be scared of it. Anyone had both?
Rdyjmjm

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 05:24 am:   

When you throw in 151 proof for the octane you get jet fuel that will easily go supersonic over the Handgrenade.

We Couplesholics return at least once a year to get our JamaicanMeCrazy flu innoculation. One Bob Marley is enough to keep the germs happy for at least that long!
Bkhiattky

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 02:53 am:   

Not scared of it...just know first hand what it tastes like, AND what it does to you :-)
Williamapril

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 12:54 am:   

I don't remember exactly what's in it, but it's not that strong. Don't get me wrong, it has a kick, but nothing to be scared of. It's actually pretty good. I've never had the other, but I'd be more scared of it that the Bob Marley shot. :-)
Krisjamie

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 08:14 am:   

They aren't bad. Straight 151 is worse. ;)
Jimmy

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 08:53 am:   

Being originally from New Orleans, I have had both and the hand grenade does a lot more damage. Now if you did a bunch of Bob Marleys it will put you down for the count.
Amy

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 09:08 am:   

Red - grenadine
Yellow - Grand Marnier or Galliano
Green - Creme de menthe
Clear - 151

Tastes like gasoline :-)
Rdyjmjm

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:21 am:   

The "hand grenade" consists of 1 1/2 ounces of rum, gin, vodka, grain alcohol, and melon liquor served over crushed ice and garnished with mint.

Now what is so scary about those ingredients?

OK maybe the grain alcohol might get you to blink but the 151 rum will bite you in the a$@.

Like I said annual medication to keep the germs calm. I didn't say kill brain cells!
Jimmy

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:47 am:   

You do realize that grain alcohol is 190 proof? Also, 1 & 1/2 ounces EACH of 5 liquors is much more than the amount of alcohol in a Bob Marley. However, we are comparing apples to oranges. Bob Marley's come in shot glasses and hand-grenades come in cups that are narrow and at least 18 inches high. Bottom line, if you can do a hand grenade you can do a Bob Marley.
Beer_suds

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   

All I can say is this. If you choose to partake - partake only once a day.

Otherwise........

Ukmm186

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:50 am:   

I "TRY" not to drink anything I can set on fire, 6 years of playing Rugby cured me of that affliction. By the way Everclear is 190 horse and illegal in Minnesota, but then again everything is illegal in Minnesota...Randy...176 Days 'til Rum Cream All I Want...
Unlvmike

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:58 am:   

Bob Marley is strong but all I really tasted was the mint. It really wasnt that bad.

Everclear is 190-proof so it's much stronger than the main ingredient in the Bob Marley (151).

If you can handle a shot of Everclear and sugar then you will be fine with the Bob Marley.

I'm not saying the Bob Marley is a lemon drop type shot, but it's not even in the same league as Everclear -- that stuff is deadly.

-Mike
Lovjamaica

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 11:56 am:   

Rdyjmjm,

"The "hand grenade" consists of 1 1/2 ounces of rum, gin, vodka, grain alcohol, and melon liquor served over crushed ice and garnished with mint."

I count 6 ounces of alcohol in that shot so I imagine 1 would do the trick.

I was not impressed with the Bob Marley and thought it was way too sweet - for my liking anyway. It is kind of amusing watching people drink them though!
Westjes

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 01:16 pm:   

I'd say a hand grenade tastes MUCH better than a Bob Marley. Both will get you quite messed up, but I personally believe the Bob Marley is much, much worse (taste and potent wise).
Mrs_3_mon

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 01:08 pm:   

I lived in New Orleans for several years and have experienced both drinks. I can have a few Bob Marleys in a row without getting intoxicated. One hand-grenade is enough for me.
Pool_bar_city

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 02:25 pm:   

On more than one occasion, Mrs. Pool Bar City has vowed never to return to New Orleans after knocking out a few hand grenades.

But she always returns.....
Krisjamie

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 03:33 pm:   

"All I can say is this. If you choose to partake - partake only once a day. "

Oh I do...once a day I do several. :P

I love Bob Marleys. Something easy to drink, tasty, and instant nostalgia back to the first one we ever had on our first trip. :-)
Southernbelle

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 03:25 pm:   

LOVE THEM

Bob Marley
Jenandmikeb

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:15 pm:   

Beer_suds----i have a pic of me just like that. I was sitting at the swim up bar though. :-(
Kycouple

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:29 pm:   

The Bob Marley reminds of a "Mind Eraser" I once had. Believe me if you have more than 2 it will live up to its name.
Beer_suds

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:43 pm:   

Jenandmikeb - I am really glad the woman in that picture doesn't frequent the boards.

This is what happens after 4 Bob Marley's over on the island.

I still have no idea how I was able to focus the camera.
Krisjamie

Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 11:20 am:   

"This is what happens after 4 Bob Marley's over on the island. "
No pic? Are you 4 deep now? :-p
Beer_suds

Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   

Krisjamie - see previously posted picture.
Trvlr4lfe

Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 01:45 pm:   

Been to NOLA and the Hand Grenades sneak up on you more.. They are strong and you will be drunk but they go down much easier and you treat it like a drink.

As for the Bob Marley shots I think it has something to do with the fact that you are usually already drinking when you are talked into it! The ingredients themselves are nothing to be concerned with the sweetness of everything else in them smooths out the burn of the overproof rum and the shot when done through a straw is not a big deal. Start doing a few at a once...Nap time, I think a lot of those shots are that way..

A few throughout the day shouldn't hurt someone who is used to drinking in NOLA, that town really hurts my liver! But I love it.
Krisjamie

Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 02:38 pm:   

Maybe I've had too many over the years...
Jillybean1

Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 04:29 pm:   

One of my favorites!! Love them! And girls, don't drink them with a straw; throw them back.
Bkhiattky

Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 05:49 pm:   

I definitely didn't taste ANYTHING sweet in the Bob Marley, mine tasted like gasoline, and then the next one was like hot mouth wash (cuz it was on fire)
Sublimebrad

Posted on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 06:19 pm:   

Well Im looking forward to trying one. The hand grenade doesnt taste strong at all but it will knock you down. Ive had 7 in a night before and people were shocked I could walk. Im a big boy though. Just dont chug one!!

151 is nothing compared to everclear though. they serve 151 in a bunch of drinks down here in louisiana and its no big deal.
Travmagic

Posted on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 09:32 am:   

There's mint in there?! could have fooled me.
I figured it was a combination of jet fuel and Nyquil!!
I did my first Bob Marley at CN this past December.
Thought I was going to DIE!!!!
Never again. Dont think my husband would let me do one anyway even if I lost my mind and decided to try again ;)
Lou

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   

After three trips to CSA, I have yet to try this drink. I guess in December I'll have to try one so I know what all the hoopla is about.

So, is the proper etiquette to drink it through the straw or to just toss it back? Since they are no longer flaming, does it make a difference? Inquiring minds want to know.
Daveandali

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 01:50 pm:   

Search for the previous "Bob Marley" thread for more info
Ashleyfredo

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 02:58 pm:   

i love the bob marley, but i agree....one per day...two if you're brave, three if you're crazy!!! my husband had 5 one night and was def. regretting it the next morning. they're nothing to fear though, and they're fun when everyone in the group has one together. oh, and i think they're better with a straw.
Simicu

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 05:03 pm:   

Since I don't like minty flavored drinks, there's no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that I'll try the BM. My wife OTOH just may take a crack at it, being she does like that flavor. In fact, one of her favorite drinks is the Mojito...bleh!!
Bkhiattky

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 05:02 pm:   

Lou.....I have tried them both ways, one with a straw, (I guess because it was on fire) the second was a toss back. ANY way you do it, it tastes like gasoline LOL. BUT...you have to do it. I think it is a rule LOL :-)

Kristen
Krisjamie

Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 08:36 am:   

"but i agree....one per day...two if you're brave, "

12 if you're ...?
Mrsalexander

Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 10:07 am:   

SUBLIMEBRAD: we were just at tropical isle in NOLA about a month ago. and we had a rough night after sucking down the handgrenades.those are the strongest drinks i've ever had. we've also been to 2 couples resorts and had several bob marleys. they have a kick, but nothing compared to the handgrenades, in our opinion. the difference i see is, handgrenades taste better going down, but have way more alcohol that's higher proof. and they will sneek up on ya! the bob marley's don't taste nearly as good, and kinda burn going down. but on our honeymoon 2 years ago, we had several one night, on top of red stripes, champagne, etc! you'll have to have your own taste test when you go on your trip!! let me know your verdict
Sublimebrad

Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 08:46 pm:   

well tropical isle actually burned down a few weeks ago. luckily there were 2 on bourbon st. but one had a bad fire and will be out for a while.
Missusbuffbay

Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 09:16 am:   

Anyone had a Dunns River Falls? My hubby partook at CSS last fall, along with an already intoxicated young lady who swore she could out-drink any man :-) Shortly after enduring the Dunns River Falls, this young lady giggled uncontrollably for about ten minutes, then threw up in the bushes.. then was loaded into the resort van on a lounge chair from the pool. One of the resort employees who helped load the girl up said to the bartender "you keel one, mon!"

We heard later that it took an IV bag or 2 to get her re-hydrated...

My husband, who hadn't had a single drink prior to the Dunns River Falls, was a smashed trainwreck after that one drink ;)

Dunns River Falls description: Whatever the bartender chooses to pour into a shaker (I saw white rum, 151, various schnapps, vodka, etc.) with ice.. fills the shaker to the top with hard liquor. Then, the "drinker" is given a martini glass with a straw. The bartender starts pouring the drink into the glass, and the drinker has to consume the beverage in the martini glass as the bartender continues pouring, and try not to let the glass overfill and spill.

Poor girl probably lost an entire day of her vacation...:-(
So.. just remember - it's a marathon, not a race! :-)
Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages. Please enter your username and password.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: