Nat

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:32 am:

Does anyone know of any animal shelters close to the CSA Resort?
Ps2sf

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 08:50 am:

If you email Maureen, she can direct you. Animal House services the entire Island.

http://www.theanimalhousejamaica.org/home.html
Kevshel

Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 11:28 pm:

Oh, There goes more money... They are so cute! great post!

Can you adopt and bring back to the states? Hmmm
Nat

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:50 am:

I'm pretty sure you could adopt and bring back to the states. You would just need to check out what the US requires in the way of health certificates. I am not positive, but I believe it is only a Rabies Certificate. Possibly an International Health Certificate for the airline aswell. Shouldnt be hard to get either of these.
Mona_and_rob

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:14 pm:

There is no rabies in Jamaica. This is one reason its extremely difficult to bring dogs into JA. You would definitely need the health certificate and the dog probably would require being quarantined. As Nat said, you'll need to check out all the requirements prior to even considering it. Fortunately, its not as difficult to import canines as it is to import equines.
Steelerscouple

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:38 am:

Thank you so much for showing us that website and Nat for asking. I was very concerned about the animals during hurricane Dean. I am an absolute animal lover and it almost killed me driving to COR seeing all these poor animals. I will def. have to add them to my donation list!

Thank you!
Ps2sf

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:55 am:

You would also have to make arrangements with your airline !!!
Rachaelh

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:49 pm:

I worked for a veterinarian for 4 years and worked with many people traveling internationally with their animals either moving or just for vacation. It depends on the country. I'm not sure what the US requires, but there may be a quarantine period required to ensure they aren't carrying any diseases etc... It might be worth checking in to! :-) I know one client specifically we had was moving to another country and had to have her dog quarantined for 60 days before it was allowed to enter.
Caseyjones

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 12:50 pm:

Jamaica does not have rabies and probably doesn't vaccinate for it either. What you would need, at US Customs, would be proof that the dog had been in Jamaica for at least 6 months.
Then, you would have to meet your state and local vaccination /health certificate requirements.
Jim__darcy

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 02:19 pm:

As serious animal lovers (with 7 strays and rescues of our own all with disabilities), we are Sooooooooo pleased to see this thread!!!!! While staying at COR in July, we had the opportunity to visit The Animal House. http://www.theanimalhousejamaica.org/home.html

Maureen Sheridan and her staff are absolutely incredible people!!!!! They do a fabulous job of caring for the homeless animals. During our visit, there were approximately 85 dogs housed in the shelter. All the kennels were extremely clean, and the animals immaculately cared for.

The Animal House has a very successful track record of adoptions. Some of them even do get adopted out to the U.S. When we visited, there were two dogs, waiting for the final arrangements to be sent to their new families in the U.S.

However, the needs of The Animal House are overwhelming! The kennels, even though clean, are extremely overcrowded. They have ten new kennels, waiting on the docks in Kingston. But Maureen's organization needs approximately $4000 USD to pay the customs fees and duties.

In addition, Hurricane Dean did quite a bit of structural damage to the kennels. None of the dogs were injured, but many of the kennels' roofs were destroyed. They were also without water for a couple of weeks, which is a definite hardship when caring for SO many animals.

The wonderful news is that The Animal House is now one of the official charities adopted by Couples Ocho Rios Resort, and funded by the annual COR anniversary charity golf tournament!

Even though some assistance should come in January, the needs of The Animal House are immediate! We know that Maureen would appreciate ANY help that the Couple Message Board folks can give.

If you want to visit the shelter, just email or call Maureen, and make an appointment. It is worth the visit!!!!! Be prepared to fall in love with every doggie in the place!

Jim & Darcy
Jim__darcy

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 07:57 am:

We just made a small donation to The Animal House through the PayPal link on their website. How about the rest of you doggie lovers, here on the message board? Every little bit helps!!!
Kayla_nate

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:30 pm:

My husband and I were at COR last month and were told about The Animal House. We did not visit, but were told about their needs. The group public relations director at COR told us that it is about to be a new project of the Issa Trust Foundation. So many people have been donating for the children and local schools, but many people forget or don't realize the animals are in need to. She explained to us that it is one of two animal shelters on the entire island!!!! Apparently it is very common for Jamaicans to poison unwanted animals. I am a huge animal lover and was sad to hear this. I am glad to hear that there are other animal lovers out there wanting to help. We were donating to a school when we were there and just happened to ask about the stray animal population.
Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.